Lemon Oil - Swiss Army Knife Of Oils
When space is at a premium and you need an all-purpose tool, it's hard to beat a Swiss Army Knife (or in my case, I use a Leatherman).
These multi-purpose tools hold an assortment of tools and fold up into a compact package. The Swiss Army Knife was popularized in the MacGyver TV series from 1980's, where MacGyver is constantly using his Swiss Army Knife to solve all sorts of problems.
When I think of essential oils, Lemon is the one that comes to my mind as the all-purpose "Swiss Army Knife" of oils.
Here are just some of the many things you can do with Lemon Essential Oil...
Uses For Lemon Essential Oil
- Removes all sorts of sticky residues (including pine sap!!!)
- Improves your mood / brighten your day (especially if you are feeling depressed)
- Makes a non-toxic furniture polish
- Makes a great fruit/vegetable wash
- Aids in digestion
- Supports your body's respiratory system when taken internally (having seasonal respiratory difficulties?)
- Makes your laundry smell fabulous (and helps front loading washers with their chronic moldy issues)
- Improves the grease cutting capability of your natural (or homemade) dish soap
- Helps to cleanse the air when diffused in your home
- Can be used as an awesome ingredient in food to add some "zip" to it
- Helps remove the early stages of tarnishing on silver
- I could go on and on and on...
Pretty amazing, right?
How We Use It The Most
- 1-2 drops of Lemon Oil in a quart of water to flavor the water, support the body's metabolism, and aid in digestion. Sometimes we also use Wild Orange, Grapefruit, or other citrus oils.
- As an ingredient in our wonderful all purpose cleaning spray
- As an ingredient in our Non-Toxic Deep Clean Toilet Scrub
- Diffuse to purify the air in your home while cleaning. I usually mix 2-3 drops of Lemon with with 2-3 drops of Melaleuca to help with purifying the air and decrease allergies, etc.
- Use lemon to remove the impossible adhesive from removed labels on jars. We use it straight (not diluted) for this job. Usually a few drops does the trick.
- Add 3-5 drops of lemon oil to your wash load (the laundry smells amazing and it helps kill mold). Just drop the oil in the same place your laundry detergent goes.
- We've been known to add 2-3 drops in the blender when making a fruit smoothie.
- Add 5 drops to our Raspberry-Lemon muffin recipe
- Several drops in hands or on clothes to "cut" pine sap. Previously, the only thing I found capable of that impossible job, was gasoline. But Lemon Oil works great and is a super healthy alternative. And hey, it also cuts grease. So now you have a healthy hand cleaner to remove grease and grime.
Cleaning Recipes With Lemon Essential Oil
Produce Wash (for hard skinned fruits and veggies like apples, oranges & carrots)
- 1.5 cups of water
- 3/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp baking soda
- 10 drops of Lemon essential oil
Makes 16 oz. (spray bottle works best). Spray on produce, let it soak for a few minutes and rinse.
Produce Soak (best for thin skinned fruits & veggies like lettuce and berries)
- Sink full of water
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 10 drops of Lemon essential oil
Soak produce for 5-10 minutes then rinse.
Cooking Recipes With Lemon Essential Oil
Where To Get Lemon Essential Oil
So many of the "essential oils" on the market today are diluted and contain impurities. Unless you have the time and money to have them tested at a lab, how would you know?
doTERRA Lemon Essential Oil (as well as all of their other oils) goes through a battery of tests, including 3rd party tests that are made public to you. Each bottle of oil contains a tracking number that you can use to download the lab test results from that particular lot of oil. Talk about transparency!
This purity issue is critical. In so many oils, you have no idea how pure it is and what other constituents are added. Those unknown substances can affect your health.
A friend of ours told us she was allergic to Lavender Oil. We were skeptical about whether she really truly was reacting to Lavender or whether she was reacting to some additive or contaminate in the oil. So we asked her to try doTERRA's Lavender Oil. You know what? Zero issues! Isn't that amazing!
And as far as the strength of the oil, we have personally experienced the difference between the real thing and cheap knock-offs. If you need repeatable results, you need to know that each bottle will be the same--time after time. And that's a priority with doTERRA essential oils.
So if you'd like to get ahold of the finest Lemon Oil in the industry, go here to get it individually. I recommend starting out with one of their excellent kits that are seriously discounted and come with a free membership for wholesale discount. Here are our 2 favorite kits. And if you sign up through one of our links, you'll also get the help and support of our team in learning how to use your oils safely and effectively.