Non-Toxic Cleaners for a Healthy Homestead

Published by: Lisa Meissner

Non Toxic Cleaners

It’s been bugging me for a long time…

When it was just me cleaning my house, I could find excuses for using toxic, chemical-laden house cleaners.  But the last straw for me was once I had little hands and feet with curious eyes wanting desperately to help their Mama.

So I went on a hunt for healthy, natural alternatives.

At first, I went to the store in town.  “Natural and hypoallergenic,” the label said, so I purchased it.  After using the popular “Non-toxic” cleaner, we all ended up with rashes.  Just imagine the damage our livers are sustaining from toxins like that.  Nope.  Not healthy.

So I started searching for DIY home cleaners.  Do you have any idea how many different recipes there are out there???!!!  So I started trying them, one at a time, until I found a few that I really liked.

These recipes work exceptionally well to clean the tougher jobs in my home (and I have two toddlers—need I say more?).  And it feels so good to keep toxic chemicals out of our home with these simple “liver-friendly” options.

So here are my 3 favorite recipes (the ones we use in our home):

Non-Toxic Window spray:

Combine the ingredients together in a spray bottle. Spray on the glass and wipe clean with a lint-free cloth or newspaper.

Non-Toxic All-Purpose Cleaner

I use this for just about everything!

Mix all ingredients in a quart-sized spray bottle. Shake to combine. Spray and wipe on counters, cabinets, sinks, toilets, and anywhere else.

Non-Toxic Deep Clean Toilet Scrub

  • 1/2 cup baking soda
  • 1/3 cup liquid dishwashing soap
  • 1/4 cup hydrogen peroxide
  • 30 drops essential oils of choice (lemon, Melaleuca, On Guard blend, etc)
  • 3/4 cup water

Mix together in a squeeze-type bottle, then squirt into the toilet. Scrub and let stand 20 minutes.


What are your favorite DIY home cleaners?
Share in the comments below
(because we all still have lots to learn!!)

1 Comment

  1. Alisa

    For caked-on food in a pot, I simmer some baking soda with water and let stand for an hour or more if necessary. The food comes off easily.


Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Subscribe to our Newsletter